Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

A Unique Recipe from Abi's School

Today in Abigail's Reading lesson, she was introduced to something called Halva!  They gave a recipe for us to try and so we did!

As you can read from the lesson, it is a Pakistan recipe.  Now, we don't have Cardamom anywhere around here, so I had to find something different.  Interestingly enough, they don't have a really great substitute suggestion, but we did find this site that we went off of.  

Seriously...as I started making it, I thought "The kids are NOT going to eat this!"...I mean...the staple ingredient is CARROTS!  But I gave it a try anyway.

I even had the pistachios on hand...
though next time I will probably have to try a different nut!
And I didn't have raisins...so we used dried cherries.
I also have to admit that when cooking the carrots in the milk and then reading we had to cook down ALL the liquid...I was feeling a bit hopeless that this was going to work...but here you can see...we melted the butter and added the mixture...


It didn't take long before it started browning and turning reddish...when it was done...I made it into balls and put it on a cooling rack for the kids.  They could hardly keep their hands off it to let it cool down and once it was cool...IT WAS GONE!

I'm not joking...my kids DEVOURED them!  C-A-R-R-O-T-S!  It was like the best thing EVER!  We will definitely be making this again!  What a healthy snack...I mean...yes...it does have alot of sugar...but I might be able to fudge on that some...they still ate FOUR CUPS OF CARROTS!  I'm in awe!

Here are some awesome texture pictures...it was really good!



Copyright © 2012 All Rights Reserved MMFarmlife - Melanie Schlatter