Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Monday, January 07, 2008

Computer Bugs...

Unfortunately we have been infected...I have spent nearly two weeks working on this stupid virus/malware/infection issue and have resolved myself to clean installing the entire computer to rid us of this vicious rootkit that I believe we have...

I have scanned and scanned and scanned and from what I have read I have managed to rid the system of the software type of malware but since we are still having problems it is suspected that it has gotten into our registry and has rooted itself there...most references say that the best way to rest that is to reformat our C drive and reinstall Windows...should be fun!

I spent the day today backing things up and trying to make sure I have all the installation things I need to make sure I don't loose some program I really need or want...the complicated ones are the ones that I have downloaded and not purchased actual cds for...it really makes me think maybe I should start purchasing the cds instead of just downloading!

I think we are also going to go ahead and upgrade to vista since I have to already be doing the reboot and all ... we got a free upgrade with the computer last year but I never bothered to do the backing up and installation...it was hard enough to adjust to several of the program jumps we made from 2001 to 2007 without adding a totally different OS as well!

Anyway...it has been keeping me busy and gives me something to ponder and think about instead of just when this baby is coming! Marion says I've been a bit stressed by it...if I have been, it's been because it goes above me and has really challenged me to research it all out...it is SO frustrating when you think you fixed it and then BAM...there it is again! URGH!

At least I have learned alot about security on my system and I will probably beef things up this next go around...a couple of recommendations I have learned...with Windows XP...it is a good idea to clean install every year anyway because the system will bog itself down...also get Spybot Search and Destroy...you will be amazed at what you find on your computer...it is free...another good free spyware is AVG...both picked up on things that Norton didn't...oh...and you can get a free scan from Microsoft One Care...it isn't installed on the computer unless you purchase it but it also has a registry cleaner that did things the others didn't...yeah...its been educating!