Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Fever

Well, as some of you may know, we have been struggling the battle of the fever.  Last Friday, Nathan came down with a fever of 102.5 and has been battling it for four days now.  On Saturday morning, Jonathan came down with the fever though it was lower at 99.6 and then in the afternoon Abigail started her trek of fevers at 99.5 to spike shortly thereafter to 102.8.  Though we have had moments of lower temperatures, they have stayed pretty high for Nathan and Abigail with Nathan topping out at 104.4 on Sunday and Abigail having 103 (or close to it) several times. 
 
We finally took them all to the doctor on Monday but at this time there isn't anything he could treat them for...they did have red throats and Abigail is coughing (alot) but the strep test was negative and there aren't any other signs of anything wrong...so the best diagnosis at this time is a viral infection that just needs to run its course.
 
I do have to confess that at first I over reacted about the 102-103 fevers...in all three (almost four) years of being a mother we have NEVER had that high of temps before.  If my kids hit 99.7 I would freak about having fevers and they got Tylenol and restricted care.  Now that I am at the back side of this episode (or at least I hope we are) I have learned ALOT about fevers, kids, and myself.  It is amazing to me as I sit and reflect back over the last four days at how traumatic I felt the situation was and how after repeated consultations with medical professionals (and friends and family) how I now realize that fevers are a good thing that need to run their course and even be allowed at times...it is the other symptoms that are worrisome not really the fever. 
 
One of the many lessons I have been trying to learn over the past several months it to let go of controlling every aspect of the kids and give them to their Creator!  I have tried so often to keep them under my own protective wing to the point of over doing it. I realize that God has given me the blessing of children to take care of but I am simply a steward of HIS CHILDREN and I am learning that God's protective wing is much better then my own and far more inclusive!  I am not sure if this was a test of that lesson or not, and I am definitely not sure if I even came close to passing it if it was...but I know that I have come out on the other side changed.  Isn't that the real proof...whether you grow or stay the same.