Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Green Beans & the Garden

Today is working green bean day...Grandma Schlatter planted the green beans this year and brought over about a 5 gallon bucket of them yesterday when she dropped Cousin E off for a visit.

Last Tuesday the kids and I went over to Grandma's to pick green beans and we got almost two 5 gallon buckets which I worked up and got 19 quarts out of.  I'm going to get another 13 out of this latest batch she brought me.

Our garden isn't doing much this year.  We ended up with 3 of our 4 cabbages and I was able to work them up into Cabbage Burger filling.  I froze the filling in balls so that I can quickly pull them out and put them in bread dough to bake.

The tomatoes got frozen this year and had quite a set back.  Now we get green ones, but they rot or the chickens eat them before they have a chance to ripen.  In fact, Marion brought in just a few of our first tomatoes of the season today.  And I think we got like three!  I'm hoping they start doing better now that Marion has been able to put the cages and straw around them.

Our beets just didn't do anything this year...I'm quite sad.  And we won't have a terrible amount of carrots either.  I'm thinking that maybe this year I'll try canning the carrots and see if we use them better that way.

None of the sweet corn we planted came up, but we were very fortunate to have gotten quite a bit from Marion's aunt.  We worked that up the other day and I have pictures of that I'll try to get posted in our updating when I get to it.

I've also got some mint growing that I'd like to get dehydrated and our peach tree has some peaches on it.  The first picking was full of worms so I didn't get many from them, but I see that Marion brought in a small container of some that look really nice.  Maybe I'll at least get some peach jam made this year.

Oh...and I've still got some garlic to dehydrate.  I never got around to doing that with all the activities we've been having.  With the food processor it doesn't take long to chop it up and get it onto the trays.  Then it kinda processes itself until its done.  We really like the dehydrated garlic!

Well, that is about all that I have for garden/produce type of stuff.  Off to put the last of the beans into the canner!