Monday, May 21, 2012

A Motherhood Necessity - How to Remove OLD spit up stains!

Okay - so we dug out the baby girl clothes from under Abigail's bed - you know - the ones that have been there for 7 years!  Well, as you can imagine, even though Abi was not a very spitty baby some of the cutest outfits that we put her in ALL the time were terribly stained!  So I began the task of trying to get those stains out. I remember that I've had this dilemma before but never have the clothes sat for 7 YEARS! And honestly, the boys either didn't wear the clothes, or wore the onesies stained! (sorry boys!)

And I'll confess, some of you Mommy's might already know this trick, but I was so blown away with it, I just had to blog it!

I wish I would have taken pictures of what the clothes looked like before so you could see the comparison, but here is a picture of what one outfit looks like now:

The top portion up by the pink ruffle was completely yellowed.

You can see it is now sparkly white!
I was utterly amazed at how well they turned out.  We had about a dozen shirts/outfits that we treated in an attempt to save some of our favorites!

Before I tell you what DID work...let me tell you what I tried that didn't:  Oxiclean soak, lemon juice - a HUGE  no-no, bleach wash, peroxide, and plain line drying!

What did work was Baking Soda and Vinegar with a Sun Dry!

I thought all hope was lost - especially after the lemon juice fiasco that made the dress pictured below turn completely ORANGE! (again - so sorry I don't have a picture of that to show you but I won't repeat it to prove it...lol) I was so sad :0( - it was one of my favorites and Abi wore it ALL the time!  But then I tried the baking soda/vinegar and was stunned at how well it worked.  (I did have to do the baking soda/vinegar TWICE on the dress below to get it as 'clean' as it is now.)

The lemon juice reacted terribly and even the little flowers at the top
were orange!  I was so sad!

But as you can see...it is all white and pink again!
Sorry about the shadows.
What you do:  Generously sprinkle baking soda over stained area and rub it in. Liberally pour vinegar over stain and let it bubble.  Lay a blanket on the grass outside and place clothes stain side up on a sunny day. When dry - or stain has disappeared - bring inside and wash normally.

I tried to hang the clothes on the line, but they need more DIRECT sunlight, so it worked better to have them laying on a blanket than hanging on the line.

I'm not sure if this method would work with other stains, but I am seriously going to try it on a few of our other clothes that I'd like to salvage.  I'm thinking this is a protein stain remover though, but I might be wrong.

Copyright © 2012 All Rights Reserved MMFarmlife - Melanie Schlatter

4 comments:

  1. Melanie, do you mind if I pin this solution to pintrest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...if you want to pin it...you may! I hope it helps someone else...cuz it was great for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Do you get the shirt wet first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope...I just rub in the baking soda and then put on the vinegar...

      Delete