Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Garden of Eden

How many people can say they visited the Garden of Eden? Well, we now can! Actually it is a National Historcial Site, why I don't know...but it is. It is in a little town south of us and Marion decided we needed a mini vacation to get away and be a family and so we headed south!
First we went to Hays where we visited the Old Fort Hays site...that was actually a great place to start because the kids could roam around and get worn out! HA!
Anyway, I don't have any pictures, because I forgot to take the camera out of the van before we went on the tour...oh well...I guess we'll just have to hold those memories in our minds...the kids had a great time playing and wondering around and crashed hard once we got to the van.
After that, we headed east to Victoria where they have the Cathedral of the Plains. We thought we'd be able to go inside and look around because Marion had checked mass times and they weren't supposed to being having mass in the evening...but when we walked in...there was mass! The interesting thing was that the priest was reading the same scripture our pastor had read for the morning service! Here is a picture or two of the cathedral and a link for more if you want them:








After the cathedral we went to Wilson where we saw an old restored hotel that was pretty cool...Marion went in to look around and I stayed with the kids...I was a bit nervous at just gawking...but when Marion came back he said I should go take a peek...so I did and the clerk took me on a personal tour where I got to look at the three room suite Jacuzzi Room and several of their other rooms too. It was pretty awesome and Marion was jealous afterward that he didn't get to do all that!

And finally on our way home we stopped off at Lucas where we saw the Garden of Eden:
This guy who lived in the 30's made all these statues out of cement and lines his property with them. We didn't get all the symbolism and all that and the house was closed by the time we got there. Some have said it is neat if you can see the symbolism along with the statues but personally...I just thought they were weird!
All along this one side he had done statues of things like: a bird trying to get a worm, a cat trying to get the bird, a dog trying to ge the cat, an indian trying to get the dog, a soldier trying to get the indian and a woman trying to get the soldier! It was just bizzar to me!

This was another one of those strange ones...there is a man named "Labor" crucified with his accusers all around him and they are "Layer", "Banker", "Doctor" and I don't remember the fourth one...See what I mean?
Okay...then we get to the REALLY strange part...this man loved what he did so much that he left specific instructions to be mummified and buried in his back yard...Note that it has his name but only refers to his wife as WIFE...apparently she is buried there too!
Overall it was a good day and we did have alot of fun...even with all the bizaar statues!