Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Thursday, July 23, 2009

I REALLY do not like snakes!

AGH! I really don't like them! I had just read a post from a friend recently that said they had seen a snake on the side of their porch and she was saying that she thought her kids would be playing inside for a while! I chuckled lightly to myself knowing exactly how she felt and secretly thanking God it wasn't me.

Well, I think God has a sense of humor!

Today I went out to move the tarp that we set the pool on and try to set up our third pool of the summer. (Yes, the second pool we got deflated within 12 hours of set up...fortunately I was able to return it and get my money back...I then went across the street and paid the larger sum for the nicer pool we had before...)

Anyway, as I removed one of the spikes holding the tarp down, I saw a snake skin that was leading into a rather large hole under our sidewalk and porch area. It took me a minute, but I shook off the weeby jeeby feeling and moved on...not thinking the snake would actually have stuck around with the kids playing outside! BUT...lo and behold, as I removed the second spike and pulled the tarp back...there he was...Mr. Snake...probably a quarter size around!

As soon as the kids saw him, they started beating on the door to be let into the house! I jumped but tried to remain calm for the kids' sake...they were panicking enough for all of us! I calmly pulled the tarp clearly away so that he couldn't get caught up in it, then opened the door for the kids and we all came inside (Jonny was down for a nap so he missed out on all this!). Trying to decide what to do, I just could NOT bring myself to chop off his head....I know...I NEED to get over that...but I just COULDN'T. So I thought of the next best thing...I went to the shed and got the snake repellent that I had purchased...I thought I'd sprinkle that around and chase him away then we could plug his hole later!

Unfortunately, the stuff must not work...because he just crawled right over it and back into his hole! I do have to say that he did seem to be paralyzed for a moment or two, but it didn't last long...so much for the snake repellent!

SO...I guess the kids won't be playing in the pool today...and maybe not anytime in the near future either...maybe this would be a good day to go to the town pool!