Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Monday, June 29, 2009

Nathan's Brush with Danger...

Isn't it amazing how you can have one child that just always seems to be in danger, sick, or trouble?
 
Nathan is our child.  Though Jonny is definitely inquisitive and our little explorer, he as of yet has little issues with actual danger.  Nathan on the other hand could write a book on the subject - okay maybe not a book...but at least a good chapter!!
 
Do you remember the infected belly button sometime last year?  Well today we had another infection, but this one could have been much worse.  He woke up from his nap crying about his finger hurting.  When I looked at it, it was swollen to about double the size of the other, fire red and it had a good sized puss pocket.  In examining it for some type of sticker or foreign object that would have caused such a thing, the puss pocket burst and it oozed and oozed but did not bleed.  Not seeing anything, I gave him some Tylenol, a band aide and sent him off to play.  A short time later, he was back crying that his arm hurt. Upon examining, he said it was his armpit and it hurt to move his arm.  It was then that I noticed he was hot and I took his temp...100.4. 
 
I called the doctor and the nurse said to bring him right in.  Fortunately, Grandma Schlatter was planning on coming this way with the cousins (Ben and Erik) so she was able to get here quick and watch the other two while we headed in.  We were the last ones in the clinic but Dr. Conant said it was a good thing I came in because the infection was spreading fast and was in his lymph nodes under his arm.  He said they were really swollen and that the bacterial infection (either staph or strep though he did not know which) could have continued to spread rapidly throughout his body and settled into any major organ causing serious complications.  Praise God I didn't wait like I was planning on doing!
 
The crazy thing is, I know it was not there or at least not bad before he took his nap.  I had sent him in to wash his hands just before naps because they were sticky from a treat I had given them.  I also didn't notice it when I tucked him in...and it is his thumb sucking hand so it would have been visible!  So basically this infection went from his finger to his armpit lymph nodes in like 4 hours!
 
So now he is on an antibiotic twice a day for 10 days and we are supposed to wash his hand in soapy water for 10 minutes three times a day.  Dr. Conant also said the infection was contagious so we all need to be extra diligent and wash well - especially after dealing with the wound.  Joy...Joy!  Be we are just so thankful he will be okay...that he is on the antibiotics and that all looks well.