Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

Today I made homemade yogurt.  It wasn't really complicated and it was oh, so, yummy!

So how did I do this?  Well, I took the idea from Laura at Heavenly Homemakers.  Only, instead of putting my yogurt in a jar and then in a cooler full of warm water, I put mine in the crock pot and then wrapped the whole thing in a towel overnight.  

The next morning we had yogurt:


 I mixed in a little bit of sweetened raspberries and yummy!

Now, this batch came out a bit runnier then I'd like, but I think that was because I was using such a large amount.  Next time I'm going to do a smaller batch and try to keep it a bit warmer by using the warm setting on my crockpot (so I'll be doing it during the day instead of overnight).  Just to see how it changes things.

Anyway, and since the Heavenly Homemaker link also talks about cream cheese...I made some of that too:

So first, I took a tee towel and put it over a bowl:


Filled the bowl as full as I could with yogurt:


Then I folded up the sides and tied the towel shut with a string, and then hung the whole towel over the bowl and let it drain for 7-10 hours (basically over night):


I was surprised by how much whey came off:


When I opened up the tee towel, this is what I had:


I scrapped all the yummy tasting cream cheese off the towel and put it in jars:


My first batch of homemade yogurt and cream cheese!  Next I want to look into making mozzarella and ricotta cheese!



Copyright © 2011 All Rights Reserved MMFarmlife - Melanie Schlatter