Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Nathan's Birthday

Well, our day started off with Carmel Apple Cinnamon Rolls and a round of Happy Birthday to our 6 year old son!

Mid-morning I called the grocery store and they confirmed they had the dry ice I needed for Nathan's lava cake.  So we loaded everyone up and headed to town.  Nathan decided he didn't want to have regular ice cream but mini chocolate cones instead so we grabbed some of those and the dry ice!

By this time it was lunch time and Nathan requested Jiffy Burger.  We called in the order and picked it up on our way home.  The kids basically played and enjoyed the first day of their fall break while I got the house ready for company and finished a few details. 

One of the things I decided to do since we had plenty of dry ice was to make 'volcanic' root beer.  Now if you've done any research on how to make homemade root beer you'll see that finding a recipe WITHOUT dry ice is very difficult.  So, since I had some, I thought I'd try one.  The kids loved it...check it out:


Nathan helping me stir!

Abi's not so sure...it's cool...but scary!

Cousin B thought it was great though!
 It really worked...I didn't put the amount of dry ice they recommended so it wasn't as carbonated as it could have been, but we didn't want to freak people out too much...just make a nice smoking drink!

As you know from my other post, it didn't work so great to get the video.  And I was so busy creating lava and smoke and lighting the candles I didn't take any pictures.  I was able to get this still picture from the video clip so you can at least see the orange lava flowing over the top of the volcano!


After the kids watched the lava for awhile, we headed into the dining room for cake and ice cream cones.  Nathan was so excited about his dinosaurs that he barely ate any of his cake.  And then, I had to call him three times to come open his gifts...now that is something to be said!  lol


Finally I got him to open his presents - and I'll apologize right up front because shooting into the back light was terrible.  That, mixed with a VERY spastic little boy..the pictures aren't the greatest, but you'll get the gist!

First present up...Cousin B, E, & C's gifts.

A 1001 book, a Hexbug, and Hexbug set.
(Don't know what a hexbug is...check this out!)

Cousin B giving Nate the full explanation as we've never heard of these before!

Next up...a Mater T-shirt from Grandma Makey

And some Figurines and a Lego Mater!

On to the next one...the remote control truck!

And finally the basket ball.
I think I got all the gifts named there.  Grandma Schlatter is still working on her gift and it will arrive later on. I'll try to remember to get a post about that when it gets here.

After the kids played for awhile, Grandma loaded up the cousins and Nathan and they headed home for supper and a sleep over.  Overall, I think Nate had a great birthday!

Happy Birthday Nathan...we love you and are so blessed to have you apart of our family!  We are praying for many more years to watch you grow and share in our family.

Copyright © 2011 All Rights Reserved MMFarmlife - Melanie Schlatter