Monday, May 02, 2011

It's saved....

Yae!  The starter has been saved!

I found an article on what to do to save the starter from the highly vinegar smelling mess that it was and it worked!  I basically had to take all the starter but 1/2 a cup and then mix in 2 cups water and 2 cups flour.  I then put it in the oven with the light on and it came out smelling yeasty again instead of vinegary.  

Next came the real test...would it produce a nice loaf of bread:


Not so bad!  (the bottom was a bit too moist as I left it in the pan too long, but hey, I can't complain)

I have to remember that when I work with the starter that if I can't make bread, I still separate off part of the mixture.  I can then freeze that or dump it as I feel the need!

So glad it's saved and I look forward to making bread again (after of course we use up the bread that I bought from the store).

:0)

No comments:

Post a Comment