Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Renovation - Kitchen

Okay, so this is what our kitchen looks like right now:

Please pardon the mess...it was laundry day when I took this pic!

We've got chipped paint.

worn spots
This wall actually still looks nice.
And then the cabinets over here
(sorry for the blur!)
I have loved the bright colors that matched our Summer Breeze Dishes, but a few things I learned was (a) it is impossible to repair a painted texture wall so that it matches, (b) light colors attract and show dirt WAY worse than dark, and (c) after awhile, change can be good!

So, that left me with the dilemma of what I was going to do in this room.  First thing I needed was a color scheme that I liked.  And very fortunately, the inspiration came with my Christmas Present from Marion's brother Marvin!  

Marvin was at an FFA Auction and saw this huge box of coffee stuff and he thought "I've got Melanie's name...and she needs this!"  So he bought it for me.  It was chucked full of all kinds of stuff...but that is for a different post...for this post...what you need to see is the box it came in:
 

Let's take a closer look if we can:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the RED, BROWN, BLACK combo here!
(in the picture you can't really tell the difference between the brown and black but there is one)
So, I went to town today and while in the Lumber store, I picked out these:



I was totally blown away when I got home, because even though it doesn't look like it in the pictures, the red and brown on the paint chips matches almost perfectly with the box.  I knew the yellow would be darker but I wanted it to be that way!

The little 'tile' piece is actually going to be the new desk/counter area in the "office" part of the kitchen.  The main color will be the yellow with the accents of the red and brown.  I might get bold enough to do some fancy painting/stripes with the paneling boards, but I haven't decided exactly on that yet.

I'm so excited!  Now, if we could just get the countertop/desk portion of the renovation figured out, we'd be all set to start!  I'm waiting for a few quotes to come back from Koster's Lumber and then we'll make a decision (I hope).  I can't really start painting until we rip out the old counter on the west wall and we can't do that until we know what counter we are replacing it with.

The cabinets in the actual kitchen part need some serious help.  The doors are starting to show the wear of the years and I have several spots where the varnish has worn off around the handle especially.  We haven't made any final decisions about what we are doing there, but we'll need to come up with something to 'upgrade' the wood on them.  I'm thinking handles and possibly hinges with a new coat of varnish maybe!

Other updates in the kitchen are the new light fixtures that will be going up, new curtains to match the new colors scheme, and some work on the back splash/tile area of the cabinets.  (I'm thinking some faux painting on the back splash or some of that new Fascade Decorative Thermoplastic Backsplash)

Can't wait to get started!


Copyright © 2011 All Rights Reserved MMFarmlife - Melanie Schlatter