Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Meatless Taco Salad with Homemade Wheat Tortilla Chips

I wish I would have taken a picture for you all, but hey, I can only remember to do so much these days...LOL!

We just got home from 3 days at the State Fair in Hutchinson, Kansas.  It was quite the exciting time with Nathan doing the pedal pull and toting 4 kids around (I'll post those pictures later).  Needless to say, we are ALL pretty tired, but life doesn't stop and dinner needed to be made.  I didn't really feel like having anything heavy or very detailed in the makings after the wonderful fair food and being so tired, so I began to look around to see what we had.

We had lots of salad in the fridge that needed to be used up and so I decided to do a taco salad, but I didn't want to mess with defrosting and cooking the meat, so I decided to go with meatless...just using beans.  Then came the 'problem' of not having the tortilla chips on hand.  "No problem" I thought, "I've got my tortilla maker."  And sure enough it was easy.  So, here is the recipe:

1 can of Navy Beans, drained
1 can of Kidney Beans, drained
1 bag of Romaine Lettuce (not the salad mix)
2 tomatoes, diced
2c shredded cheese (we used mozzarella because that is what I had on hand...lol)
1 batch of tortillas made into chips, crushed (see recipe below)

Heat up beans slightly in microwave.  Mix all ingredients and serve.

Tortilla Recipe

1c Whole Wheat Flour
1c White Flour
3/4c water
1 tsp salt
5 tablespoons oil or butter

Mix and divide out into balls.  Place in press and cook until crispy.  If you don't have a press, mix, roll out to desired thickness using a floured surface and place in a non-greased skillet until crispy approximately 2 minutes, flipping after 1 minute.

Even the kids ate everything on their plates...which was amazing!  This is the second meatless meal I've made in the last week and both have been devoured.  CRAZY!

Stay tuned for fair pictures and a few more stories to come.