Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Romans 12:1

Romans 12:1 (Amplified Bible)

I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.


This verse has transformed me....set me free...propelled me into a new light!

"...in view of all the mercies of God.."  Our God is soooooooooo merciful.  

So, what does it mean to be merciful?  Dictionary.com says:

mer·ci·ful


–adjective
full of mercy characterized by, expressing, or showing mercy; compassionate: a merciful God.

Okay, so what does mercy mean?

mer·cy

  
–noun, plural -cies for 4, 5.
1.
compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward anoffender, an enemy, or other person in one's power;compassion, pity, or benevolence.
2.
the disposition to be compassionate or forbearing.
3.
the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or tomitigate punishment, especially to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty.
4.
an act of kindness, compassion, or favor.
5.
something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing.
WOW!  Especially #3...oh how we deserve the death penalty...but our Judge has pardoned us and has not invoked that sentence on us!  Praise be to our God!  

And, look at #5...to have divine favor with our God...that He gives us that freely!  

In light of all of that "make a decisive dedication of your bodies presenting all your members and faculties". We must make a decisive decision to dedicate ourselves. How can we NOT?  In light of the mercies...in view of what HE has done...how can we not present every part of us before Him with decisiveness!? 

So, what is a decisive decision?


de·ci·sive

  
–adjective
1.
having the power or quality of deciding putting an end to controversy; crucial or most important.
2.
characterized by or displaying no or little hesitation; resolute;determined.
3.
indisputable; definite.
4.
unsurpassable; commanding.

Pride...Control...Selfishness...Fear.  These things keep us from presenting ourselves before our merciful God!    But we can choose to decide to end the controversy (#1), to be resolute (#2),to be definite - indisputable (#3), and commanding (#4) of our decision to dedicate all of what we have to our God.  

It may not be easy, but it is possible.  That is why the next statements says that we are to do it as "a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated)".  It is a sacrifice for us to lay down the pride, control, selfishness, and fear that we hold on to.  But when we devote ourselves to our merciful God, it is well pleasing to Him.  And what He is asking is reasonable (rational, intelligent) and an act of spiritual worship.  

Today, I surrendered my control.  I yielded my selfishness.  I let go of my pride, and I overcame my fear.  And today, I feel free.  I feel joy.  I feel peace.  I know that trials and temptations will still come.  I know that troubles may yet rise, but above all...I know that my God is merciful!