Instagram Feed

Since most of my updating is done via Instagram these days I thought I'd add a section that links to my feed. Click on any of the pictures to get an enlarged version. I hope you enjoy the pics:

Monday, December 19, 2011

Old Fashioned Butter

As many of you know, I've been making butter for awhile now.  I don't do it all the time, but it is something I enjoy doing when I can get cream at a reasonable price!

Anyway, I've been using my small 3 cup Food Processor to make small batches now and then, but for Christmas we received a WONDERFUL gift (THANK YOU S Family!) of a quart of cream.  That mixed with some that I bought on sale, we had ALOT of cream to make into butter!

Marion thought that 'someone' had an old fashioned butter churn, and so we started asking around the family and found that Aunt Sharlyn had one we could use.  So, we borrowed it and began churning away:










One thing we learned VERY quickly is that it takes ALOT of arm muscle to make that thing go...especially when it starts getting THICK! After we finally got it to butter I started washing and salting it.  We ended up with about 2 1/2 lbs of butter!


So between making butter and Christmas Day goodies, we had a full day!

I also took some of the gifted cream and used it in a salad for Christmas that called for Whipped Cream!  It is FABULOUS!  I can't say THANK YOU enough to the S family for their thoughtfulness!



Copyright © 2011 All Rights Reserved MMFarmlife - Melanie Schlatter